Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Mr. Apple, Lady Lemon, and their Little Blueberry Children

Ah, still life drawings. Not the most exhilarating work, but I learned a lot from it. I learned to draw from a small gridded thumbnail sketch to a large gridded sheet. While I tend to get caught in the particulars of making grids, once I have my grids made I find them very helpful. 
Mostly through trial and error, I discovered that you must locate a light source and then add value accordingly, and that showing an object's shape - round or otherwise - is not as easy as it may seem. One of the hardest parts for me was trying to draw the little top to the blueberry, or "nubby" as Chelsea would say. I ended up drawing a flower-like thing on it. I doodles flowers like that all the time, so I guess I just drew what I knew. I think it worked out alright for the most part. 

1 comment:

  1. The fact that this is one of the earlier projects we've done is remarkable because it's really well done. You said once that you've never drawn before, but it doesn't show here. Your attention to the highlights on the fruit really shows that you understand how light plays on fruit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete