Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And so the Sun Sets Over a Pumpkin into the Green Twilight

This is not a sunset, or a pumpkin. It was actually an orange and a banana. Somewhere along the way - working with crayons, contour lines and complementary colors- it became a sun setting on a pumpkin. The pumpkin look comes from my overzealous application of blue coloring to add shadows to the orange, By the end of this process, I found that I need to take a step back while I work, and look at the picture as a whole. I tend to focus too closely, in one small area at a time. And that leads to pumpkins. 

3 comments:

  1. Several wonderful things happen through your process of experimenting with color and attempt at understanding how contour might work with color to define form - 1. an orange with banana mysteriously becomes a pumpkin and a sunset - 2. what you thought were obvious subjects became abstract forms that invited different interpretations - 3. You learned about your work process and how you like to work. When you trust in your creative work process it will lead you to your strongest possible solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think your title definitely makes this piece. While I know that the original objects were an banana and an orange, I definitely would think pumpkin if I looked at this piece, which isn't really a bad thing. I mean the viewers are never going to know it wasn't a pumpkin... so why not just make it one :D. While I know you were not extremely happy with this piece, I think Jeremy is right in what you learned from this piece. I also think it probably helped you in the blending of colors, putting blue on orange etc. even if you may not have realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, despite the fact that this piece had its flaws (or so the critique pointed out), I really, really like it. All of the colors blend together well and the composition and perspective of the piece give so many different ways to interpret it. Definitely one of my favorites you have done this year.

    ReplyDelete