Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dotting the I's and Crossing the T's

Walk in the room, see random things piled up in boxes in the middle of the table... *sigh.*
However, valuable lessons were once again learned. I found that I like working with Sharpie markers because they make thick bold lines, although I dislike the permanence of using pen and ink. Once you make a mark, you either commit, or start over. 
This assignment was, quite obviously, about adding value in various forms. I learned how to hatch, crosshatch and stipple, and where it would be best to employ one technique over the other. I found that I rather like stippling. I feel that it gives me more precise control over the values of my shading and where it travels. However, it is by far the most tedious and time consuming. Crosshatching can quickly and easily create darker values, and hatching shows directionality. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel that the lessons you reflected on in your posting completely paid off for you in your subsequent self-portrait drawing. For this assignment I think altering the size of the pen you're using might help you get a variety of hatching and cross-hatching values. Pen & Ink can be scary at first, but the more you work at it, step back and assess, then re-work into it as a repeatable process - the more you'll be able to convey a believable space for your viewer, varied with lights and darks and complex textures. Great first pen & ink drawing!

    ReplyDelete