Tuesday, October 5, 2010

saY CHEese

Self-portrait. Make it autobiographical. Pen and Ink. Here's the twist: distorted grid. 
While this project was difficult and time consuming, I was pretty satisfied with the finished product. I do think that it would have been more successful if I had used only pen, instead of pen and Sharpie marker. And I feel that if I had made my grid even more distorted, it would have made more of an impact. My favorite part of this was working on my braid. I felt I really understood the structure of a braid, and where the highlights and shadows were, and clearly illustrated that.   

4 comments:

  1. You did clearly illustrate your knowledge of the schematics of the braid. What I love most about this picture is how autobiographical it really is, I can tell that you love to take pictures of things. The fact that the camera becomes the biggest part of this after the distortion (along with your sunglasses) is very interesting and makes one wonder what the person behind these objects looks like. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project turned out pretty fantastic - I'm not sure I agree that it should only be one type of pen. The different textures and slightly different hues in ink make for good variation across the composition. The braid is really working, as are the rim and texture of the glasses, as you indicated, and I think we mentioned in class that it makes me want more of that kind of detail and understanding of shadow and form throughout. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin! I think you did a really good job on this project - specifically in the hair on the braid. I know you struggled a bit at first with this project, but you can definitely see improvement in this project as you got better at using the pen marks to convey your subject. Overall, a good job :) well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. The braid still remains my favorite part of this piece. You did a wonderful job following the rules of this assignment. Doing anything in pen, I have found, is very difficult and the detail that you put into the hair still amazes me. Great work on the piece as a whole.

    ReplyDelete