Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Brooke, the Jellyfish Face

Brooke had the privilege of sitting across from me on blind-contour-drawing-day, and so I drew her face without looking at what I was doing. I rather liked creating this particular piece, as I knew from the beginning that it would not look realistic. I just had to capture the general idea of her face, and her curly hair, and shade in the outline to give her some value. Although there are some elements that define her, it was not expected that this would realistically represent her. Some people said it looked like a jellyfish person. So, this is Brooke's face. Or a jellyfish. Or both. 

3 comments:

  1. May I say something about this?

    I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!!!!
    I'm amazed at how well you valued it to give it form, and I agree with most of the class in saying that the hair is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I really like this piece.... maybe it is because I love the way you drew the hair, or the mask like quality of the image.... or maybe it's both. Either way, I think you did a fantastic job on this piece, shading the objects well, but also making artistic choices, such as not shading in the eyes, that really add to this piece and make it more intriguing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is totally creepy and adorable at the same time. The title makes me giggle.

    It was a very successful attempt at the assignment and you definitely made confident choices on where to put your values. Good work!

    ReplyDelete