Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Tea Party


Midterm Project. 
I had to create a piece "in the style of" the artists assigned to me for my research paper and presentation. My artists were Judy Chicago, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Nancy Spero. These three artists' styles are very diverse. They are connected by their feminist beliefs. I struggled at first, trying to figure out how to turn this common belief into a piece. I finally decided to connect my artists in the same way that Chicago connected influential women in her Dinner Party; by creating a place setting for each artist and putting them into the shape of a triangular table. I made a place setting for each woman: the natural flower for O'Keeffe, the circular flower-like one for Chicago's early work, and the text and image section is like Spero's unusual, outspoken work. The hardest part for me was coming up with the idea for my piece. Once I had my concept, planning and executing it was much easier. 

2 comments:

  1. I just love your midterm project Erin, I think it's such an original idea! You were able to work in the style of your three artists, but still tie them together in an interesting way. I think it's almost humorous, and definitely successful! I especially like your shading with the color pencils, it's subtle but very well done. You did a great job!

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as far as your midterm project goes, I think you did a really good job tying in your different artists. I especially like that you took the one artists ideas of creating placements for different woman and adapted that to your needs, representing your own artists in this style. This is very creative... so well done.

    ReplyDelete