Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say "Banana"

This is an orange. Or at least part of one. The assignment was to create the inside of a natural object using cardboard and hot glue. And it was timed. So this is the inside of an orange: the middle bit, the covering around a section, a little seed thing, and a bunch of those messy strings. (You can't really see the hot glue strings, but they're there.) This project was interesting and difficult because I had to create a not typical, incomplete part of something. I had to look at just certain aspects of the orange, and ignore the rest. That wasn't easy for me at first; I found myself wanted to make the whole orange, or a whole section, but after I starting working on it, it got easier to focus on the smaller pieces. 
When I finished, I felt that I had successfully recreated bits of an orange. Although I, and others, noticed it did look a bit like a banana opened lengthwise. Why my orange-inspired pieces always turn out to look like other fruits, I do not know. 

2 comments:

  1. The titles you give your pieces really give them something more. I do still think this piece reminds me more of a banana than an orange, but reading your description of the process it becomes evident that it is NOT a banana. Perhaps a bit more orange drawing and they'll always look like oranges? Or maybe that whole not looking like an orange thing can be a trademark of yours as an artist :D Think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really beautiful sculpture and maybe one of your best pieces from the whole class. It shows both clear visual intuition and a sensitivity to subject and materials while remaining concise. Fantastic work, Erin.

    ReplyDelete