Monday, December 6, 2010

An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

The Final: Found objects sculpture, themes of puns and proverbs. 
My chosen proverb was "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." It was a general statement on unhealthy consumption of food and drinks. I rarely eat apples, but I drink Dr. Pepper on a daily basis.  
I created an apple out of Dr. Pepper cardboard boxes, and a label here and there. The stem was a straw, and the leaf was the 23 flavors logo. I decided to take a slice out of my apple to make it look more like an apple and less like a soccer ball. I also used the little pop tabs for seeds. 
This project refined my cardboard sculpture skills, and helped me to think more conceptually. This project, while super time consuming, was not too difficult. Once I got the idea, I could picture the end result clearly, and just worked toward that image. It turned out the way I pictured, and I am really happy with the end product. 

3 comments:

  1. I think this project is amazing Erin! You were able to accomplish a very rounded shape with the cardboard; all those cardboard sculptures really paid off! I think the pop-top seeds are my favorite part. This piece has a very tongue-in-cheek humor about it. It's so witty and a fantastic idea! I do agree that the inside of the apple could be smooth paper, but this really doesn't bother me much when looking at the piece as a whole. I think you did a wonderful job! Now we should play soccer with it. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, this came out so well! I knew it was an apple from the get go and when you said your phrase (pun, parable, proverb, whatever it is) I totally understood it! I absolutely love your attention to detail with the leaf and the seeds on the inside. And to me, it just screams of what your proverb was. Kinda makes me want an apple...
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kelly. The shape you created is very well done. I still find it difficult to create a round shape, so to see what you've done is simply satisfying. The cardboard apple is very well defined and allows little to no confusion in determining what it is. Good job Erin =)

    ReplyDelete